TPUSA chapter denied after being called a hate speech group

The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point student government denied a prospective Turning Point USA chapter official recognition after students called it a “hate speech group.”

All university clubs seeking official school recognition are subjected to a standard process in order to receive student government recognition, but TPUSA at UWSP President Emily Strangfeld told Campus Reform that she felt her group was “specifically discriminated against,” beginning with the way that the process was presented to her group.

[RELATED: TPUSA deemed ‘direct threat,’ denied recognition at Santa Clara]

According to Strangfeld, the group had already completed all the administrative tasks required to gain recognition for their group, and were told to wait for an email from student government with a date to appear at a meeting where an official vote would take place.

The chapter officers reportedly did not receive said email until the day before the meeting was to take place, giving them very little time to prepare.

The group claims that its faculty advisor also received an email the day before the meeting with new forms and paperwork that had not been previously provided, and which had to be completed before the meeting the following day.

[RELATED: Libertarian students says college is suppressing her speech]

The TPUSA chapter constitution provided to student government asserted that “The goal of this student organization is to promote, free speech, capitalism and limited government,” adding that “Turning Point USA’s mission is to educate students about the importance of fiscal responsibility, free markets, and capitalism through innovative campus activism and non-partisan, thought-provoking discussion.”

Video footage provided to Campus Reform shows the student government officiator stating that the Senate had allotted a standard 20 minutes to discuss the matter at hand, during which the chapter was to give a presentation, hold a brief question and answer session, and then the meeting would move on to a vote.

However, the question and answer session led to the decision to open the floor to meeting attendees before the vote, a process that lasted three hours while various students stood up to protest granting official recognition.

During this time students accused TPUSA of being “dangerous,” a “threat,” and a

Read more:


National Weather